Music Banter - View Single Post - Playing Instruments w/ Feeling
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moss
Scuttle Buttin'

It's certainly an on going struggle. Most people start learning the pentatonic scales and get to where they can somewhat express themselves. Then you start learning major scales and modes and for awhile sound like you are just blindly running scales. Then you get to where you can start using those in a personal way. It's certainly an ongoing battle to not let the theory and "this is what I'm supposed to play over this chord" mentality take over. I know when I'm playing a grateful dead song or something I will rely too heavily on straight major scale playing but I'm fighting through that I hope. Anyways, Blues and Rock are what kill me, I love jazz and other forms of music but don't "feel" them like I do blues and rock.

This one used to kill me when I was first learning guitar. Always wanted to get to the point of being able to play with this much feeling. This is why people were calling Clapton "god" in England. I mean, listen to the guitar solo that starts at 3:26, man if that doesn't grab you I don't know what would do it. That little lick at 3:49-3:55 just kills me every time. Some great sax work at the start of the songs as well.

Moss is offline   Reply With Quote