Music Banter - View Single Post - 2015 Women's World Cup thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
actually this world cup is in my home town. not going to go to a game cuz its expensive as hell but ive watched both Canada matches so far. its actually got pretty hyped here. soccer is fairly popular here in general, weve got an indoor "mini world cup" that happens every 4(?) years and soccer centres turn into madhouses. its loads of fun. can imagine going to a womens world cup game would just be a reason for me to get loaded as well.

in terms of it being safe or whatever why not just have the middle ground and watch hockey?? you got the speed and the danger
Yeah, the hype is actually pretty decent here. The coverage is pretty considerable for this World Cup. I wouldn't say soccer is very popular in Canada in general. Maybe it is at the grassroots level (with the relative cost to play, where is it not, really?), but it doesn't seem very popular at the pro level. The coverage is pretty considerable for this World Cup.

Women's soccer vs. men's soccer is Canada is a pretty interesting comparison. I don't have any numbers to back it up, but it seems like there's more awareness of the women's national team vs. either the men's national team or Canadian MLS teams, even before the World Cup. Christine Sinclair is probably the most famous/recognizable soccer player in Canada (for either Canadian soccer players or players currently playing in Canada) to either passing fans of the sport, or people who don't really care about the sport but will occasionally keep up with what's going on. The Olympics did so much to put it on the map.

Last edited by Thom Yorke; 06-14-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote