Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #163 (permalink)
Key

Throughout the entire Star Wars universe be it in the video games, or in the movies, or even the animated shows or whatever, the concept of "freedom of choice" really has a strong connection to each and every character you get involved in. Since this is a video game focused month, I will focus more on the video games over anything else. (as a side note, this will be mostly text as it's just something I've wanted to write about).

Most of the Star Wars games that i've played have the concept of freedom of choice stuck to it like glue, which is a good thing. To see a concept that is used throughout a movie make it's way into a video game of the same franchise is something really cool to behold. The Knights of the Old Republic series has done that concept really well. Throughout the game you will be given choices that you can either react to positively, leading to someone being your friend or companion, or you can react to it negatively, leading someone innocent or important to their death. I've done a fair share of playthroughs of both KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2, and I am a strong believe of KOTOR 2 really using the concept to it's advantage in a really really good way. KOTOR 2 introduced the usage of influence that you have with your companions. Basically, if you chose to do something bad/dark side, one companion may feel positive toward your choice whereas other companions may feel negatively towards your choice. The same is said about making a decision that is more based towards a light side path. There are exceptions however. In one of my playthrough of KOTOR 2, I remember bringing Visasfrom the dark side to the light side strictly based on certain conversation decisions that I made with her that influenced her to become good. Same is said for the Handmaiden that joins your team earlier in the game, except you can influence her to become a dark jedi with you while you take the path of a sith lord. She's a very interesting character, especially once you really start to gain her trust and she tells you more about her life and childhood etc etc.

SPOILER ALERT

Believe it or not, Force Unleashed was also among those games that had a pretty good grasp on what your final decision can do for your character. However, it isn't done in the same way as it is in the Knights of the Old Republic games, this time it's more of an ending scenario that you can choose from. I can't quite remember which Force Unleashed game it was, but you can choose between fighting against The Emperor or Darth Vader. This results in two separate endings for the game. Like I said, the concept of freedom of choice isn't as evident throughout this game, but you can still finish the story the way you feel it should be finished, albeit very limited decisions.

END SPOILER ALERT

Another great example of the usage of a freedom of choice is obviously in the MMORPG known as Star Wars: The Old Republic, which should be obvious in it's own way considering it is an MMORPG, and y'know...factions and such. But still, it counts. Doesn't it? I don't know, whatever.

My knowledge of the older games such as the Jedi Knight series and the Dark Forces series are sadly limited, however playing through them a little bit at a time, I don't really see as much of a concept of the freedom of choice really evident throughout the games. However, i've been proven wrong before. In my defense, I did really get into the Star Wars video game universe later than most Star Wars geeks would prefer, but I love the games nonetheless, and on this topic specifically regarding the older games, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.