Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #764 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Kings
Title: Bay of Kings
Artiste: Steve Hackett
Genre: Classical
Familiarity: I know all his work with Genesis and have listened to Spectral mornings.

Track 1(Love) Nice sort of medieval acoustic tune to get us underway, slow and relaxing. I guess as this is one of his classical recordings it will be all instrumental.
Track 2(Love) Another nice slow one with a bit more of the synthesiser in it, almost echoing the opening of Genesis's “Watcher of the skies”
Track 3(Love) Brings in some nice flute from brother John
Track 4(Hate) More Baroque; little livelier but paradoxically very boring
Track 5(Love) A little more interesting, though if I'm honest, not that much
Track 6(Love) Sounds like an interpretation of some classical piece . Quite nice.
Track 7(Love) Nice flute work here
Track 8(Love) Nice. There's unlikely to be too much for me to add I believe from now on
Track 9(Love) Finally! I know and love this from the Genesis Foxtrot album. Superb piece. Wish it were longer.
Track 10(Love) This one is nice. Has a shimmery, kind of Genesis feel to it.
Track 11(Love) Yeah, it's okay I guess
Track 12(Love) This is nice
Track 13(Love) Yeah, again it's (YAWN!) okay I guess
Track 14(Hate) Yeah, that's just damn boring
Track 15(Love) Well at least I know this traditional folk song, and he does a good job of it. Decent closer but a mostly boring album.

End result: Of the vast amount to choose from out of Hackett's discography, I'm really disappointed you chose a classical guitar album, Plankton. I mean, it's not bad or anything but I would have so much preferred to have heard one of his prog rock ones. The thing about classical guitar is that, unless you're into it or you play, it can be very boring, and I found it hard to maintain my interest in this.

So, Love or Hate? Because it's Hackett it has to be Love, I just wish it had been another album. There are so many of his I have not heard.

Chances of a full review:0/10

Last edited by Trollheart; 06-17-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote