Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #776 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Never were the way she was
Artiste: Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld
Genre: Instrumental/Ambient
Familiarity: Zero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_...he_Way_She_Was

Track 1(Hate) Ok, apparently both of these people are members or ex-members of Arcade Fire. That doesn't mean a lot to me. But given that one is a saxophonist and one a violinist, am I to assume this is another instrumental album? After suffering through Bay of Kings I'm not quite sure I'm up to that. Opening track is good, lots of peppy violin mostly, but I wonder will I have a lot to say about this album? We'll see. A seven-minute opener is not good though. Gets on my nerves after a while.
Track 2(Love) This one's nicer, more laidback
Track 3(Love) This has a nice kind of cinematic feel about it. Gets a little hyper, which I find offputting. Good work though.
Track 4(Love) That was okay; kind of ambient
Track 5(Love) And this has a dark, kind of menacing feel to it
Track 6(Hate) Too much annoying horn on this. The violin's pretty irritating too.
Track 7(Love) This is nice; kind of reminds me of the soundtrack to Interview with the Vampire
Track 8(Hate) Meh, it's just sound effects mostly. Poor ending.

End result: Possibly it's unfair, but coming off the back of a classical guitar album I just was not in the mood for another instrumental one, and this did little for me. I gave it a lot of Love for the tracks, but I'm just being polite really. I got very little out of this album.

So, Love or Hate? Because I didn't fully hate it it has to be Love, but again it's just by default.

Chances of a full review: 0/10

Last edited by Trollheart; 06-19-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote