Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 AM   #778 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Well, as with all minimalist and somewhat ambient music this should be listened to with some immersion to fully appreciate it, although I'd say that the compositions are varied and complex enough to be entartaining anyway.
Plus the fact that Stetson plays all this at the same time and without effects certainly adds to my enjoyment of the album (although again the music also stands on ist own), not sure whether you really care about the technical aspects of his playing and the unique timbres of his sound.
Bolded: there is an argument for my listening to these albums the once, and often in something of a hurry as I go through the "assembly-line" idea, get the next one done and move on, detracting from possible enjoyment that might result if I listened to them more, or gave them more time, but that's the situation I'm in; they get one chance to impress and if they don't then that's it I'm afraid.

In Red: I have to say that for the most part I found them both boring and a little dreary. And generally I like violins and cellos, but this did not chime with me at all.

Underlined: No, I have little to no interest in that. I'm not a musician and so that aspect almost never comes into it for me. I don't understand it, so I am in no position to comment on the way particular instruments are used. It's all about the simple idea of whether or not I enjoy the music. I don't care how many instruments someone is playing (well I might; take Mike Oldfield or Panopticon, but rarely) or how technical their playing is.