Music Banter - View Single Post - Quintessential Listening
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #77 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Since Rock is my main interest (and most of its sub-genres belonging to it) I always thought I should have a broad over-view of it, or at least wanted to. There is so much out there it is impossible to name everything. This seems an impossible task, at least for me cause once I write out at list it looks awkward like it is missing something, or add too many things. Anyway here the ones I could think off hand. If I didn't mention an album, then check out a greatest hits.

Country Blues
Mississippi John Hurt - Complete 1928 Okeh Recordings
Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train and Other North Carolina Folk Songs and Tunes. Smithsonian Folkways
Blind Willie McTell - Atlanta Twelve String

Early Rock and Roll/Rockabilly
Fats Domino
Big Joe Turner
Chuck Berry
Bo Diddley
Elvis Presley
Gene Vincent
Eddie Cochran
Ritchie Valens
Jack Scott
Ronnie Hawkins
Johnny Burnette
Johnny Cash
Jerry Lee Lewis

Instrumentals

Les Paul
Chet Atkins
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Jazz
Johnny Smith Quintet - Moonlight in Vermont (1952)
Rufus Harley - Bagpipe Blues
Rufus Harley - Scotch & Soul
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Instrumental Rock
Link Wray
The Shadows
The Ventures
Duane Eddy
Johnny and the Hurricanes

(pre-EDM/IDM) Electronic
W. Carlos - Switched-On Bach (originally release under Walter Carlos, now Wendy Carlos)
Jean Jacques Perrey - The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe
John Chowning - Turenas · Stria · Phoné · Sabelithe

Rock
The British Invasion
The Rolling Stones
I listened to every album from England's Newest Hit Makers to Tattoo You, & Jamming With Edward!
The Beatles
I listen to every Beatle album, and have two dozen cover-song albums which are either from a band compilations or done by a single artist.
Meeks - Beatless (as far as Beatle cover albums go is a "Quintessential Listening")

Progressive Rock/Jam bands
Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (the first 31 minutes are brilliant, the last two songs are ok, but I skip them.)
Egg - Egg
Traffic - Mr Fantasy
Traffic - Traffic
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Shingetsu - Shingetsu
Saga - Worlds Apart
I own mostly every Genesis and Yes albums and a few solo albums to boot... and some live bootlegs. It's difficult to make a decision which one to mention as essential.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote