Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #967 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

I'd agree that the songwriting wasn't totally consistent on Spreading the Disease, and that the sound was still coming together to an extent, but it's still my favorite Anthrax record. It's their most fun, and Joey's way of singing on, and only on that album unfortunately, is just so great to sing along to at the top of your lungs.

And "Armed and Dangerous" is totally underrated. If I could sing one song at a karaoke bar, it would be that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Also the band were east coast as opposed to the thrash heartland of the west coast and so were largely isolated in their development in that sense and their sound was certainly distinct to many of the other thrash bands out there.
Interesting story about that. Back when Metallica came to New York to record Kill 'Em All in 1983, they stayed in Anthrax's rehearsal space, and from what I hear, they also played locally at L'Amour - where Anthrax were sort of like the house band. So I imagine that Metallica probably did have a big influence on Anthrax.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 06-21-2015 at 11:52 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote