Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #869 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Tilt
Artiste: Scott Walker
Genre: Avant-Garde, Experimental (again!)
Familiarity: Was he part of The Walker Brothers?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt_(...#Track_listing

Track 1(Love) The orchestration is lovely, his voice is great, really dark and sombre, obviously classically trained (opera?); percussion comes in just at the right time. Really like this. Actually, scratch that: I LOVE this!
Track 2(Hate) This is a bit more abrasive. Big disappointment after the epic opener. FTR, his voice was still fantastic.
Track 3(Love) This has an odd kind of sepulchral feel to it; the dark booming percussion is great. The switch to the orchestral halfway through is lovely.
Track 4(Love) This is like progressive rock! Love this!
Track 5(Love) This one is brilliant also. Man has this guy got a voice!
Track 6(Love) This is dark and moody with a certain Cave touch to it. Gets pretty intense. Superb guitar.
Track 7(Love) More powerful orchestration which perfectly complements his strident voice
Track 8(Love) Country-style feel to this; powerful drumming and a wailing guitar like a ghost howling over the prairie
Track 9(Love) And a perfect closer.

End result: If someone had said to me, you'll like Scott Walker, I would not have believed it, and given that Grindy was sure I'd hate this, I'm delighted to say I don't. I enjoyed every single track bar that second one. After that it was all smooth sailing.

So, Love or Hate? Oh, a sure Love.

Chances of a full review: 6/10