Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #3433 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Wait, what?! Apparently I've been asleep.
It's a very minute reference to The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers, who was an inspiration for Lovecraft. He even incorporated ideas into the Cthulhu mythos, mostly about grand ideas/ revelations causing insanity. The show more focuses on Chambers' writing though, but the ritualistic pagan sacrifice was similar to "The Dunwich Horror" by Lovecraft. While he didn't necessarily invent the genre of Weird Fiction, Lovecraft is kind of the face of it, so when people talk about it he's more likely to be name dropped than anyone else.

Here's an interesting read that showcases the references.

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
It's going to be tough for it to escape the shadow season 1 cast over it. EVERYONE is going to compare the two to death no matter how much they try to distance themselves from it by giving it its own unique story/feel. If this was a new series, there is no way in hell it would be sitting at 61 on Metacritic right now.

I thought the early scene with Farrell and the lawyer was a nice touch. Made the viewer think it was going to be another flashback-style theme. Felt like it was a nod to the first season saying that they're aware of the comparisons but want to make this season its own thing.

Tough to judge this episode though. It was essentially all backstory and character development. Now that they've all been brought together at the end, the real fun will probably start in regards to actually advancing the plot.
It's true, this season wasn't going to have an easy ride, but honestly the way people are just jumping all over this one episode really just screams "Everyone look at me, I have a contentious opinion about something that is almost universally loved, aren't I deep and edgy?". That said, it would have been nice to get more of the crime scene in this episode and how these messed up individuals are going to go about solving it, and how it relates back to each of their neuroses.

Here's my theories on each character.

Spoiler for Potential Spoilers?:
So it's pretty obvious that Farrell's character has some massive anger issues, both evidenced by his display to his son at the school, and how he mentally scarred his son's bully. What's the bet that his wife was having an affair and the "rapist" was actually just her lover, for whom he mercilessly beats and or kills?

McAdam's character is a little harder to figure out. She has intimacy issues which could suggest some kind of molestation from her past, but I dunno, that seems like a long shot. Her mother's suicide is definitely a catalyst point for her, and I think her father hit the nail on the head when he said her decision to go into law enforcement was more due out of rebellion to his hippie philosophies. The only reason I go to molestation is her disdain when she discovers that her sister is a cam girl. Her character is definitely the one I feel I know the least about, but I am interested in learning more about her.

Finally we have Kitsch's character who I think is going to be the moral center of the show. His Lieutenant mentioned his work as a mercenary for a group I'm going to assume is the show's parallel to Blackwater. Given Blackwater's repugnant reputation and Kitsch's suicidal tendencies, I think it's safe to say that he was involved in the death or deaths of an Iraqi citizen, probably a child, and escaped punishment.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote