Music Banter - View Single Post - What's Missing in Country Music Today?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
geffers
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstiles View Post
Hey everybody. There're a lot of great new artists and songs coming out this year, but I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks is MISSING in country music right now.

What are your thoughts?
Well this sounds like a question that was posed on one of the Amazon sites . For me I prefer the music of the fifties and early sixties ,along with western swing and honky tonk of the forties and fifties .The modern stuff seems too pop for my liking ,perhaps we have Garth Brooks to blame for that . Still a lot of folks did like him and he sold a shed load of records . It's horses for courses I suppose . I am not averse indeed I do like the countrypoliton or Nashville sound of the 60s ,this maybe helped to sell country music to people who did not particularly like country . Patsy ,Tammy ,Hank Locklin etc bought country into the mainstream and were followed on by artists such as Ronnie Milsap who did not rely so much on pedal steel but more on sweeping strings ,still with a country edge .
I love singers like Hank Williams etc but lets face it records such as he produced would not be that commercial today so perhaps we just have to live in the past and with what we have got ,to enjoy our own brand or style of country music

Last edited by geffers; 06-26-2015 at 01:56 PM.
geffers is offline   Reply With Quote