Music Banter - View Single Post - 2016 Presidential Race Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #185 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
Most of my social-democratic slant is probably because I hear my news inadvertently through reddit, which is extremely lefty. I generally don't pursue political news (or any news really, besides science news).

But say we accept your premise that Bernie can't win. Doesn't supporting him bring more support to the issues he's campaigning on, even if he doesn't win the primaries? Isn't there a long-term game here that plays on your own values that you've demonstrated in responding to JWB and Batlord?
Yeah, maybe. Like I said, I want him in the debates. For me the problem involves identifying the point where it's less pushing issues that I'd like pushed, and more hurting the Democrats' chances in the general. But you're right, to some extent I am contradicting myself, and I do think he should at least stay in the race for now. I think a large part of why I'm not as enthusiastic about him as you or Briks is just that I don't think he's as left wing as y'all seem to, but he has value.

ETA: I'm not sure that Clinton's going to win the general, although I think it's likely. I think voting for Sanders in the primary could negatively affect her chances in the general, and even if I am not a fan of Clinton I have to acknowledge that she's the best actual option we have in this election.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote