Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #32685 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
Man, I want a dog so bad, but my cat will not handle a new animal well, I'm sure of that. Do you have a breed in mind, or just going to a shelter?

Dream dog:

I'd call him Tyrion.
Doberman Pinscher. The family dog when I was growing up was a Doberman, so I'm familiar with them although it's been almost 10 years since she passed and I haven't had another dog since then.

I'm going to an established reputable breeder and not a shelter/rescue. There is nothing wrong with shelters and getting pets from them, but it's not right for me. With this kind of dog and the fact that Dobermans were bred as working dogs as well as watchdogs (always alert, aware, and ready to defend) I feel more comfortable knowing the history of the dog, the temperament of the parents and the rest of the litter, and that the dog has not come from a puppy mill. They are also prone to bleeding/clotting disorders and joint problems and I want to know that kind of medical history.

I also want to get the dog as a puppy, at 9, 10, or 11 weeks old. A good breeder will not wean puppies from the mother for at least eight weeks. This also gives them time to get a good vet to do proper ear cropping and tail docking if desired by the person buying the puppy. Dobermans are one of the most intelligent dog breeds and they are easier to train as a puppy.

Damn, they are such beautiful dogs.

Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote