Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #974 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Knuckle in the mud
Artiste: Wolves in Sheepskin
Genre: Experimental
Familiarity: I've heard some of Frownland's material

Track 1(Love) Hold on, what is this? This actually sounds like MUSIC! Did I click on the wrong ... no, it's his album all right. This is not at all bad. Quite ambient so far. My only complaint is that it seems to be pretty much the same all the way through, and for a piece that runs for over seventeen minutes I would have expected perhaps a little more variety?
Track 2(Love) This has more a kind of jazzy, Waitsy feel with also the idea of being dumped right into the middle of a Twilight Zone episode. Good piano, horns are a little distracting but not too much so, good guitar. Kinda sounds like someone keeps opening a creaky gate?
Track 3 Seems a bit more mechanical. Gulp! Memories of that robot song surface like a thought-weighted-down corpse... Yeah I get the idea in the track, it just doesn't really interest me. And it's way too long, like about eighteen minutes.
Track 4(Hate) I wasn't aware Frownie was a muslim, but here he is at morning prayers!
Track 5(Hate) Now he's mowing his lawn. Yeah, this is more like the Frownland music I know and hate.
Track 6 Dear Lord, receive the soul of this poor sinner.... a half ****ing hour of one track? This will be fun! Well it's halfway through and I'm not pulling out what hair remains, so that's something, but don't expect this track to be anything other than Red or White. Oh look! It's White! Yeah; mostly bored. Trouble with a track of this unprecedented length is it's got to be interesting and this, well, isn't. Sorry.
Track 7(Hate) ****ing crickets???!!!

End result: I thought (hoped) I was finally getting something different from WISK and the first track raised my hopes, but after that it went severely downhill and never recovered. Some people have described this as “relaxing” and “ambient”. While that might apply to the first track, it certainly does not to the rest, and this is not something I would put on to relax or fall asleep to. Sorry Frown but I think that's it for you and I: you can have the kids, I just want the cat. And that cup. And your cowboy hat.

So, Love or Hate? Started off hoping, but it's a clear Hate I'm afraid.

Chances of a full review: 0/10