Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #76 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

From Genesis to Revelation --- Genesis

If I followed my own rules then this should not be featured at all, as although it was Genesis's first album, it was far from being a progressive rock one. It's certainly more in the gentle folk area, and what's more, it doesn't even feature Steve Hackett or Phil Collins. But then again, it was the first anyone had heard from Genesis, so, like Batty says, suck it.

Uncle Meat --- The Mothers of Invention

Frank Zappa, isn't it enough that you haunt my dreams, skulking through my sleeping hours like some sort of spectral bogeyman waiting to assault my ears with nonsense and atonal sounds? Must I listen to an album of yours every year? It seems I must. This was another strand of the “No Commercial Potential” project Zappa created, of which we've heard already We're only in it for the money.

On the threshold of a dream --- The Moody Blues

Another concept album from a band who were fast becoming one of the flag-bearers for the emerging progressive rock movement, this was the album that lifted the Moody Blues into the heady heights of number one position for their album, and into the top twenty cross the pond, though its only single failed to create even a ripple (geddit?)...

Trout Mask Replica --- Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band

If there's one album I look forward to listening to less than Merzbow, it's this. Well, I did listen to this album a while back for CAIHNH but it was a short review. So will this be, but I'll have to go into it a little more, or maybe I'll just transplant that review here. Hey! I'm not so stupid, you know! Anyway, supposedly a very influential album on the genre and one that gave one of our weirdest members here his username, so must be featured.

Yes --- Yes

Not to be confused with The Yes Album, this was the debut from a band who would go on not only to define progressive rock, but the more bloated excesses of it.

Abbey Road --- The Beatles

I have my doubts about this one. I know it's seen as a seminal Beatles album with an iconic cover, but did it impact upon the prog rock scene? I'll leave it here for now, and await the judgement of those of you who can answer this question better than I.

The Nice --- The Nice

Third album from The Nice. I'm not too certain about this one either; was it important? Have we heard all we need to of Keith Emerson's first band?

Volume Two (The Soft Machine Album) --- Soft Machine

Second album from Soft Machine.

The Aerosol Grey Machine --- Van der Graaf Generator
Debut album from Van der Graaf Generator

In the court of the Crimson King --- King Crimson

An album that would go on to have a profound effect on prog rock, introduce the world properly to the genius of Robert Fripp, and become a classic of the genre, how could we not feature King Crimson's seminal debut?

Hot rats --- Frank Zappa

Just can't get away from this guy, can I?