Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #1035 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Algiers
Artiste: Algiers
Genre: Post-Punk
Familiarity: Zero, but heard great things

Track 1(Love) Sort of a tribal/Gospel thing going on here; some powerful synth I think? Very dramatic. Strong vocal.
Track 2(Love) Bit more in the experimental vein, with a strong feedback guitar, but again that soul/gospel sound is there. Very impressive. Mostly this is just percussion for much of the track, which gives the impression of a machine or engine running. Some great guitar comes in later on.
Track 3(Love) Man, there is some energy and passion in this! No complaints so far.
Track 4(Love) One of the best songs on the album so far. Really doomy and gives somehow a feeling of slavery and toiling under the hot sun. The handclaps are great, and the guitar sort of wailing on the fringes really makes it.
Track 5(Love) Yeah, well, this just gets better with every track. Uptempo, a little frenetic, again great drumming, soulful vox.
Track 6(Love) Love the orchestral hits on this. Really envigorating. Chanting/moaning backing vocals really add another layer of power.
Track 7(Love) Just another super powerful track. Talk about passion. Love the piano.
Track 8(Love) I haven't heard a single thing I don't like on this album yet.
Track 9(Love) And now I'm in love with a song! Gospel and slow blues? Take me to Heaven now!
Track 10(Love) And after that gorgeous gem, a powerful anthem.
Track 11 Okay, the last track was a little weird and avant-garde, but it's not going to change my attitude towards or dim my praise for this album.

End result: Certainly worth the hype. Consider me another fan. Excellent stuff; these guys should have a big and bright future ahead of them.

So, Love or Hate? Absolute Love.

Chances of a full review: 9/10