Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #1046 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Milk Man
Artiste: Deerhoof
Genre: Experimental
Familiarity: Zero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_Man_(Deerhoof_album)

Track 1(Love) This album is just full of surprises from the off, isn't it? Hard, almost metal guitar, followed by a very progressive rock keyboard, punk styles and then a vocal from what sounds like a nine-year old! Or one of my cats.
Track 2(Love) This one sounds even more progressive; has violins in it. Is that girl Japanese? I'm going to assume that's Satomi Matsuzaki, as it sure ain't Chris Cohen!
Track 3(Love) For the first minute this is just shuffly percussion, then lone piano before yer wan comes back in. Nice.
Track 4(Love) This one's quite experimental. No vocals that I can hear. Lot of different things going on.
Track 5(Hate) Yeah, this is just stupid. And very annoying.
Track 6(Hate) As is this. You sure Frownland isn't guesting on this?
Track 7(Hate) Yeah, the novelty has worn off now. This is just getting more annoying as it goes along.
Track 8(Love) Ok, this one is nice.
Track 9(Hate) Oh, ****! Thirty seconds of silence then someone playing a piano like a child? You're really pushing it here, guys!
Track 10 This one is kind of okay but...
Track 11(Love) Just about recovers at the end with a really nice organ-driven ballad. But has it saved the album? See below.

End result: Started off quite well but I quickly formed the opinion that Deerhoof were just being, as Batty might put it, goofy for the sake of being goofy. To an extent it worked but then the joke got stale and I started to really resent this album. By the end I knew I would never listen to any more of their material again.

So, Love or Hate? That's a Hate, sorry.

Chances of a full review: 0/10