Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #1078 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Which one?
But you see, if that's your take on Marillion why are you surprised at how I receive your John Cage/Zorn etc? Like, I don't feel that's music I like, and yet you kind of look down on me for not liking it. But it just proves that not everyone will like everything you do. I would be really happy if you would take the time to listen to one Marillion album, just so I could hear your thoughts on it. I know I'm a prog head and so it's inevitable I would like them, but I don't honestly think they've released one bad album (other than Somewhere else) and I'd be interested as to where your dislike of them stems from? People here are always asking me "But why don't you like, say, Throbbing Gristle?" and then laughing about how I can't appreciate this kind of music. So, what is it that you don't like about Marillion? Seriously? The lyrics? The long keyboard solos? The vocals? Non-usage of oud, saz or Norwegian nose flute? I'd really like to know.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I think after what I've listened to from you you owe me more of an insight than just "They're crap."
It was Script for a Jester's Tear. I don't look down on you for your taste, I'm sorry if you take it that way. Sometimes you do surprise me with some of your verdicts based off of what you've liked before in this thread. I do kind of disagree with your verdict on Masada Guitars because the only thing it seems you didn't really like about it was the length. Based off of that review you would adore the album, but only in small doses.

From what I've heard of Marillion, I don't like them because their music is bloated and full of itself. Their songwriting doesn't impress me and it puts me to sleep. I guess their singer isn't bad, but he's still keeping up with the rest of the band by avoiding doing anything interesting. Lastly:

My first exposure to them was through you when you had put them up against It Bites in some album battles thread. I thought that both were atrocious tbh and that's what's kept me going all this time. I'm a little lighter on them these days now that I know some of their music is just painstakingly boring as opposed to awful, but I'm still no Marillion fan man, nor will I ever be.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote