Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #1149 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Artiste: Florence and the Machine
Genre: Indie Rock
Familiarity: Zero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Bi...#Track_listing

Track 1(Love) Good boppy opener, lots of energy, getting right into it. She reminds me of Chrissie Hynde, also later Fleetwood Mac with touches of Country
Track 2(Love) Total change in pace; slow, broody oh then it kicks in with a big powerful chorus and a snarly guitar.
Track 3(Love) Again starts slow then comes together really well. Must say I'm really enjoying this at the moment. Horns eh? Nice. And violin too. Fantastic ending. I mean, really fantastic. Love this.
Track 4(Love) And the opening of this just continues the awesomeness. Then it turns into a great uptempo stomper.
Track 5(Love) Beautiful fragile ballad. Are there ANY bad tracks on this thing??
Track 6(Love) Ah crap! This isn't fair! This is even better! That piano!
Track 7(Love) In answer to my question on track 5, no. Not yet. This is another superb soulful ballad.
Track 8(Love) A really nice mid-pacer, yet another great song.
Track 9(Love) A whole lot of passion in this one. This lady knows how to write a really catchy melody without it descending into banal pop territory. Colour me impressed.
Track 10(Love) Stark, sparse, fragile, beautiful. Organ is stupendous.
Track 11(Love) If track 10 was like experiencing a particularly passionate mass, this is like exiting the church afterwards; a feeling of joy and relief mixed with perhaps a little sadness and loss. If you're into mass. Which I'm not. But I can imagine the feeling. Powerful closer without going over the top.

End result: Holy hell this was some ride! I didn't expect anything this good. I literally have nothing bad to say about this album, and the good things could max out some serious character counts in my journal. Just superb.

So, Love or Hate? Think I have to go the whole hog on this one. True Love.

Chances of a full review: 10/10