Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Supreme Court legalizes nationwide gay marriage
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #253 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
There is a difference between tolerance (not hating him for who he is) and support (fighting for his right to equality). He should be grateful for the support of other people regardless of their sexual orientation. I didn't say anything about tolerance.

I guess the Jews shouldn't be grateful for all the people who fought against Hitler based on your logic.
I mean, actually fighting against Hitler, like personally liberating concentration camps and whatever, is pretty different from thinking to yourself "Hey, maybe it's wrong to kill the Jews." The latter is a much better analogy. Speaking as someone who's bi, it's great that you support marriage equality, and of course I'd like you to continue to support marriage equality, but you are not owed gratitude by every single gay person in the world just because you, at least to some degree, believe in basic human rights. And if you'd say "I'm done with believing in gay rights if I am not constantly told how great I am," then I don't think you ever really supported gay rights in the first place.

To be clear: I don't think for a second that you'd actually stop believing in equality if you weren't patted on the back for that belief, but I do think that that's the logical conclusion of your position.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote