Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Supreme Court legalizes nationwide gay marriage
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #264 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
See, I wouldn't call SCOTUS decision autocratic at all - they were voting in the interest of the majority. I still feel like your vision is black and white, even if not technically a false dilemma or possibly that your definition of autocracy is oversimplified.
did they vote in favor of gay marriage because that's what the majority supports? if the majority didn't support gay marriage, do you think the supreme court should have banned it instead?

as for my view being oversimplified... haters gon hate. reread my initial post and you'll see i said "i think this sort of demonstrates my point" not "this is a clear cut case of autocracy at work." in fact the main distinction between the type of "representative democracy/republic" that the U.S. is set up to be, and a pure democracy like you seem to think i was saying the U.S. is, is that our form of govt explicitly injected a bit more centralized/federal control (i.e. autocracy or plutocracy) in order to protect us from 'too much democracy' (i.e. mob rule).

John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote