Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #1219 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You know what? **** it. There's no reason everyone else should suffer because of the arrogance and conceited attitude of one member, so I've had a big bucket of ice cream and fixed my face up, and I'm ready to go on.

And so, without further ado...

Title: Cow Fingers and Mosquito Pie
Artiste: Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Genre: Blues/Funk/Soul/Rock and/or Roll
Familiarity: Pretty much zero. I know “I put a spell on you”, and didn't he do that version of Waits's “Heartattack and Vine”?
http://www.discogs.com/Screamin-Jay-.../master/290872

Track 1 Rock and roll with some nice horns; strange lyric. Not bad. Like the piano. Kind of a fifties style to the music though, something I'm not that fond of. Not a Chuck Berry, Little Richard or Elvis fan to be honest.
Track 2(Hate) I pretty much know already I'm going to hate this. See above.
Track 3(Love) OK, I know this one. Who doesn't? Good version.
Track 4(Hate) I don't like his singing (screaming) style; I know that's why he's called what he is, but it doesn't sit well with me. It's a cover of a classic, so that's something but no, I don't like it. This is going to be an ordeal.
Track 5(Hate) Wasn't great either. Taht stupid motorboating sound he makes is very annoying.
Track 6(Hate) Yawn
Track 7(Hate) No, don't like this at all.
Track 8(Love) What is this? A forties film soundtrack?Oh right: I know this one. Good version to be fair.
Track 9(Love) Yeah this one isn't bad.
Track 10(Love) Christ! Only halfway through. At least all the songs are short, something to be thankful for I guess. Oh great! Added screams plus jungle noises. Good blues beat though. Might be on to something here. Yeah, I actually really like this one.
Track 11(Love) And this one is very good, like this.
Track 12(Love) Yeah, this is fun. I can dig this. Actually, I see there are only fifteen tracks, as some of those are I guess remixes or re-recordings of ones I've already listened to.
Track 13(Love) Something odd has happened here. I really was not enjoying this, and now suddenly I am. When did that happen? This one is very good too, with its Arabic rhythm
Track 14(Love) This one's fun too, though he's back to that annoying motorboat sound...
Track 15(Love) Pretty cool indeed.

End result: That was a very weird experience! I started out bored, then hating the album, expecting it was a shoe-in for Hate. Then suddenly I started getting into it, and before I knew where I was I was actually enjoying it, and I ended up being a lot less dismissive of it than I had expected or intended to be.

So, Love or Hate? Rather surprisingly to me, it turns out to be a Love.

Chances of a full review: 0/10