Music Banter - View Single Post - What You Wish Pop Sounded Like
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #76 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I've seriously been listening to Ke$ha, who has only two full-lengths and an EP, for two days straight, so she's not disposable to me at this point.
You will lol, but then again I've only downloaded her radio singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't discount his music's quality, but I could give a **** about Michael Jackson. I am generally very hit or miss on 80s mainstream pop, because the synthesizer sounds they use sound very dated to me. I love plenty of Madonna, but not so much her 80s material. So I would not say that any kind of music is necessarily intergenerational.
Fair enough, I feel the same way about Madonna, she really is the godmother of manufactured pop. I prefer Blondie and the Eurythmics.

Overall, I like a lot of new wave and disco hits, because their songs have a lots of musical notes in them, as they were composed by musicians who could play their own instruments, as opposed to a dancer relying on someone else to sample a tune, and match it to a backbeat.

There are still some intergenerational artists. Lady Gaga is extremely talented, and I imagine will be still be getting played thirty years from now, but they seem fewer and far between.

I think overall the talent bar has been dropped even in rock. Punk was never supposed to be commercialized. Bands like Green Day and the Offspring definitely dropped the talent bar. Before that there were high expectations if you wanted to be a successful rock act, it was expected that you at least had to try to play as good as Jimmy Page, but now all you have to do is play, du, du, du, du, du. Small wonder why rock is on its death thralls.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote