Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #1236 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Mind Over Love and Body
Artiste: Machine
Genre: Um... Electronic? Ambient? Drone?
Familiarity: I think I heard one or two of his songs
https://machineplus.bandcamp.com/alb...-mind-and-body

Track 1(Love) Lovely kind of desolate, lonely piano to open. Sounds like some bum notes but I'm pretty sure those are just there to create a sense of purposeful dissonance. One tiny niggle, and it's not really anything to do with the music: there are no track lengths, and I prefer to know how long a song is. This one seems to be quite long.Right: I'm enjoying it but for a long track, which it is turning out to be (over ten minutes?) I have to say it kind of doesn't really go anywhere. Bit expressionist, bit abstract. I do like it though.

Some really nice work here, lot of what I'd usually term rippling piano. Okay, given that there are only four tracks on this album I guess it's fair that one/all of them should be long ones, still this one must be twenty minutes and still going! Oh-kay ... thought it was finished there. It isn't. Ah, now it is. Sorry man but that was way too long for what was in it. Needed more variety.
Track 2(Hate) Now this sounds more interesting. Guitar? Synth? Not sure but it's a little more jarring and slightly abrasive, like that sound you used to get when the telly went off before we had twenty-four-hour .... I give up! Kids these days. Anyway, there's some nice wibbly synth happening now and from the position of the counter I don't think this one is going to be anywhere near as long as the first track. Okay, getting a bit annoying now as it cuts in and out (assume that's deliberate) and then just repeats the same phrase over and over. It's just electronic noises now that are giving me a headache. Started well but this is leaning towards Red .... and there it is. Frownland would love this. I don't.
Track 3(Hate) Sort of an echoey start but I fear that dissonant noise is going to assault my ears again. I almost wish for the boring-in-comparison piano track. I don't mean it was boring but it did go on for too long. Still, I'd take another twenty minutes of that over five of this. Urgh. Sorry. Just doing nothing for me. You and Frown should definitely get together; you're like the electronic/ambient version of him.
Track 4(Hate) Kind of a little more ambient, slower with a droney, buzzy sound. Then it's just more of the same. Too much feedback, few effects, nothing I can hang my hat on. Oh, and it's too long. Sorry I'm with Batty on this one. Bored.

End result: I really, REALLY try not to criticise albums or music made by members, but the first track aside I could see nothing in this that interested me. I'm sure it's very clever, well crafted, innovative even, but to me it's just a bunch of sounds and effects running together, stuff I couldn't even review as music personally. I'm sorry man; I'm not saying your **** isn't music, just not music I can deal with or recognise. And most of it is way WAY too long for what's in it.

So, Love or Hate? Sorry, but you know what's coming: Hate

Chances of a full review: 0/10