Music Banter - View Single Post - Eminem's best song
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5I5O View Post
I always hated fleminem, and I always hated rap, well, what is referred to as rap. Back in the day it was referred to as rap, but now it's called hip-hop. Hip-hop is basically the equivalent of eighties glam-rock. I call hip-hop glam-rap. At least old-school rappers generally talked about something more socially relevant than the size of their dicks and how many bitches they've laid - I'd rather listen to NWA, Da Lench Mob, Public Enemy, Rage Against The Machine, Cypress Hill, System of a Down - those are some bands you can get some knowledge from.
To get the terminology straight: Rap is a term used to describe the specific type of vocal technique, hip-hop is used to describe the whole subculture and both terms are used to describe the musical genre as well. So there's that.

I haven't listened to an Eminem song for over ten years, so I have no idea what he's up to lately, but his songs were far from the bitches and cars lyrics you seem to dislike so much. Plus one doesn't have to like him, I don't think I'd have much fun listening to him nowadays, but he is certainly a very skilled rapper with a great flow and very good at writing humorous and complex lyrics.

I'm also pretty sure, although someone who listens to lyrics more closely might correct me, that some of the artists you mention as examples of good rap have enough mindless hedonistic lyrics. (And SOAD are just a weird choice for an example.)