Music Banter - View Single Post - pc issue of the day pt. 4:33 isn't music
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #99 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

^I'm quite aware of what I'm saying. The fact that it is a composition is simply that: a fact, it doesn't make a point in either direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
That goes against the nature of the intention beyond the piece, and since according to you intention is all you need for it to be music, that argument doesn't hold up.

Idk Steely Dan, sorry.
The idea of the piece is that musical sounds exist beyond the performers' instruments. The original example was the audience in an orchestral hall, but it could also be anything else in the material world. The piece doesn't call for an audience, and if it did, I wouldn't put it past Cage to actually write that on the composition.

Steely Dan were a group who made (kind of) complex tunes that were too much for them to perform live. So they didn't.

EDIT: Bat, whenever I talk about the compositional process of 4'33", it refers to the conceptualization of the piece, not just writing it down on paper. That might be where some of the confusion comes from.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote