Music Banter - View Single Post - Yeah whatever, send me stuff and ill write stuff
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #90 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just my view: I think it's slightly disingenuous of Ki to blame others for his lack of motivation in a thread titled as this one is. I mean, I know it has humour in it but really, does a title like that give you any indication at all that the OP is interested in doing what they're doing? Also, the way he reviewed the albums he did, while again I understand he was taking a more lighthearted approach, gives you the idea he wasn't really that pushed.

I understand that a lot of you saw my thread doing well and thought "Hell yeah! I'll have some of that!" and while it's fun and everything, there's no getting away from the fact that it's hard work. If you decide to do this you need to go all-in and be prepared to stick it out; there's no point in going in half-assed at it. As Yorkie says, to keep people happy and interested and invested in your thread you really need to be doing at least --- at least --- one album per day, every day. Nobody's saying you have to do that of course, but if you want to maintain the buzz I think it's almost a requirement. If you already run a journal then doing this is probably not the greatest idea (unless you're insane like me) as it will take you away from that work, and you may end up regretting opening the thread, resenting the lack of interest in it and eventually wishing you had not bothered.

This is why I was very clear that I would not be reviewing albums, just giving a few basic lines about each to indicate whether I loved it or not. This then evolved into a very short review of each track, which works for me. Were I to try actually reviewing all these albums (120 and counting) I would have a much harder time keeping this going.

It's my old axiom: when you no longer enjoy it, stop doing it. But Ki, you should be honest and admit that you were never that much into this in the first place, or if you were, you certainly didn't display that in the way you went about it. I wouldn't give up on it totally, but if you want to of course that's your decision. However do remember that people did give you recs, and to be perfectly honest I think the least you should do is review those you got before you close the thread. But it's up to you as I say.These sort of things are not easy to do, and they're not for everyone. You're a great journal writer; maybe you should just concentrate on that...

Nice dad speech. Bootstraps and hard work and gusto and all that. Top marks.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.