Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #261 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Artiste: Prefab Sprout
Nationality: British
Album: From Langley Park to Memphis
Year: 1988
Label: Kitchenware
Genre: Pop
Tracks:
The King of Rock and Roll
Cars and girls
I remember that
Enchanted
Nightingales
Hey Manhattan!
Knock on wood
The golden calf
Nancy (Let your hair down for me)
The Venus of the soup kitchen

Chronological position: Third album
Familiarity: Jordan: the comeback and the various singles
Interesting factoid:
Initial impression: I know the first two tracks so kind of n/a
Best track(s): The King of Rock and Roll, Cars and girls, Hey Manhattan, The Golden calf, Nancy (Let your hair down for me)
Worst track(s): Enchanted, Knock on wood
Comments: Having listened to Jordan: the Comeback I was really impressed by a band I had previously ignored, and yet up to now I have not checked out any of their other material, so since I know two tracks off this one I thought I'd give it a spin.Two big hit singles kick it off, with “The king of Rock and Roll” being most famous for that mad video with the frog waiter and the dancing hotdogs, but it's a bouncy, poppy tune that belies a bitter, self-recriminatory lyric which speaks of a guy who had one hit in his career and believes he is still a pop star all these years later. It's got a great hook though, which is probably one of the reasons why it was such a hit. Although “Cars and girls” slags off the lyrical themes used by Springsteen I can forgive them, as this is such a great song. Again it bounces along on pretty much the same basic beat as the opener, but the vocals of Wendy Smith really add to its bleakness. Paddy McAloon of course holds court over everything as usual.

It is true, of course, what he says: ”Some things hurt more/ Much more than cars and girls” so you can't fault him for taking The Boss to task. There is the pop sensibility that permeates much of his work, and clever lyrics as he sings ”Life's not a cruise/ With a cool chick/ Too many folks feelin' carsick/ But it never pulls in.” It's pretty impossible not to like this song. But that's it for what I know off this album, so from here on, to borrow an analogy from this song, we're on unfamiliar roads. “I remember that” pours a layer of lounge/jazz over the music, a slow swaying ballad with a great stabbing synth line, nice touch of gospel in the backing vocals.

“Enchanted” has a sort of soul feel to it, with some jangly, funky guitar, but it's a little lightweight for my tastes, while the great Stevie Wonder pops up on “Nightingales” to add some harmonica, and the strings accompaniment injects real heart into this soulful ballad. Oh, wait: I'm wrong. I know another track, and it's this one. “Hey Manhattan” is a great bouncy pop song with a wonderful hook, and guitar by Pete Townsend. Nice. Strings are even more effective here. I must say though, “Knock on wood” is terribly, terribly dreary. It's soon forgotten though as we hit the rock'n'roll of “The Golden calf”, very catchy, sort of a Tears For Fears feel about it.

Another fine ballad in “Nancy (Let your hair down for me)”, lovely piano work and fine backing vocals from Wendy again, then the album wraps up with a nice mid-pacer which happens to contain the title of the album, but is not so titled. It's a decent track but a little underwhelming.

Overall impression: Not by any means the powerhouse Jordan is, and since I already knew three tracks there wasn't too much for me to get excited about. Much of it was quite mediocre, though there were some good spots too.
Hum Factor: 7
Surprise Factor: - 2
Intention: I'm really not sure. I do like McAloon's voice and his lyrical prowess, but do I let myself in for another disappointment? Stay tuned. Or maybe not.