Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

I'm hoping to revive this thread as there were some really great things being said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
What attracts me to music
Loneliness. I like music that, at some point in its duration, sounds fragile and near empty...
...Loneliness transcends virtually everything. Representing that emotion somehow, whether it be directly or just through some other angular medium, is basically a necessity to the music I listen to. Even upbeat & optimistic music contains some allusion to it most of the time.
I am absolutely on board with your thoughts here. I usually find this is post-rock or ambient works but even some rock acts like the slowcore band, Low have pounded out some beautifully lonely dirges with their amps cranked up to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post

Underworld

I love monotonous Electronic riffs especially if they are not actually a riff but just a device that pulls a song along. It's not intrusive. It's subtle yet hypnotic... ...This is not a dance track, it's not a by the numbers ambient track. It's fully formed with many aspects that suggests that the artist has an ear for music and many genres.
An outstanding track, as are so many from Rick & Karl's vast catalog. Thanks for your thoughts - I think you've hit it spot-on.

As for my own tastes -

Favourite 3 Genres
• Jazz (Bebop, Cool Jazz, & Hard Bop, Free Jazz, Third Stream, and Fusion)
• Downtempo / nu-jazz
• Ambient (kosmische musik / drone / space / psybient / contemporary classical)

What attracts me to music

Headspace. I enjoy sound art that creates a sonic environment for the listener. Whether the work is intellectually-engaging for active listening or, like ambient music, a heady atmosphere in which I can lose myself and escape the troubles of the world.

The original chill out room at The Land of Oz nights at Heaven achieved this brilliantly by wedding the pulse of house music with the blissful, sparse soundscapes of Manuel Gottsching and Pink Floyd. What I wouldn't give to have been there to experience it for myself!

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?

I graduated HS in 1999 at age 17. I escaped chart-toppers Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit by spinning Jethro Tull and other prog classics in my studio after class. That was also the year Napster launched so I spent the years that followed crate digging and file sharing to further broaden my musical sphere of knowledge.

The aim was the same then as it is now - a never-ending search for strange and beautiful new sounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote