Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
HellCell
Music Addict

Good thread. I like the format.

Favourite 3 Genres
1. Melodic Death Metal
2. Metalcore
3. Christian Rock

What attracts me to music
Music that elicits emotions is great. There's no better alternative to relieve my anger than heavy extreme metal. It is a form of entertainment. It can get me to be introspective. It can be motivating. It energizes me.
I can feel cool, I can feel bliss, I can feel dark, I can feel rebellious, the spectrum of emotions and the way the music enhances it does wonders.
Lately I've been more cognizant of lyrical content. It's plays a very small part of how I appreciate music because it needs to have a good beat in the first place, which speaks for itself, but it's icing on the cake if it adds something to it.
At this point in time, Norther holds a centerpiece in my musical diet. At first it was the nice solid beat, but the lyrics made it personal. The thoughts of being a serial killer has sprung up many times. I'm a dark person at heart. Norther did a fine job in giving me a handle to attach my thoughts into expression.

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?
No the musical qualities of music I listen to now are quite distinguishable from my childhood. When I was younger 16 and under, I just cared about a cool or dancable beat. Naturally, Nu Metal and Pop music was sufficient.

Now, I prefer music to be a reflection of me in some sense. That is not to say it has to match my every whim, I can definitely appreciate music that isn't the same basis as my thoughts. For instance, I really like Gothic metal, but it's a rather feminine genre. Although I do have a feminine side and relate to them for the most part, some aspects are strictly female. I can "empathize", if you want to call it that and "get" the music.
HellCell is offline   Reply With Quote