Music Banter - View Single Post - Mega Angst: My Odyssey (Screw This, I'm Leavin)
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

July 9

The sun and I rose simultaneously. I lied there on the concrete for a moment, smoked more, then packed up everything and got right back up on the same spot, doing the same thing. It was barely six, I’d guess. I remained for two hours, watching what little traffic there was pass me by. I didn’t notice that I’d been there so long, stoned and indifferent. Not too many people getting on the interstate here in the morning, more than last night however. After this, I’d go pass the time for as long as I see fit. Got some beef jerky, energy drink, Snickers, and brushed my teeth in a Target bathroom. I sat on the curb outside the store for a minute, drinking my drinking and listening to music on my mp3 player. I walked back to my spot, got there at probably nine-thirty or ten, tried some more to get picked up, and made the executive decision that it wasn’t happening here, so I began to walk. I walked along the highway beside the tracks. Soon emerged a muddy river, and I walked through the wood between it and the highway. I have way too much stuff and no plans to ditch any of it. The small backpack gets in the way. A little bit ago, I walked beneath an overpass littered with graffiti, trash, and some items probably still in use. Two people were bundled up in sleeping bags on each side.

“Reno is so close to Hell, you can see Sparks.” Someone wrote. A lot of travel milestones and chat made up the graffiti, though. I spotted a pack of four wild horses across the river as I neared a bridge that lead trains across the water. I stopped here and smoked some more. This is where the thirst came into play, a thirst unmatched. I was so determined that I’d catch a thirty mile ride to Fernley that it didn’t even cross my mind to pack any water for the space in between.

Offroad now, extremely rocky, steep, and crumbly. It would be a hellish trek the majority of the way, and I stopped rather frequently. Grey storm clouds gathered above and let about a light shower. Soon after the rain began, I came across what I could only assume was an old and rundown city block, I suspect I might be way off base though. At the bottom of the hill beside the interstate a road started. Further along came a sidewalk with weeds growing from the cracks. I stepped on to it. Portions of sidewalk were separated by building sized plots of dirt, which made me think of a block. The cement itself seemed fresh, undamaged. I walked every inch of it under dark and cloudy skies, then left this dead block. After some more strained hiking, the “path” I was on started flattening out again. I was nearing Lockwood, NV. I was excited as I might find a store here. Off the interstate is a road that circles around and leads into this small community. Storrey county begins here. I was still along the railroad tracks and came in the hard way. The town was across a bridge over the river, a waterside walking trail also began there. No more than fifty feet away was a market, the only establishment of Lockwood I think. First time around, I bought a bottle of gatorade and started guzzling. I sat outside the store drinking it and eating some of my jerky. I was leaning against my bag with my legs outstretched across the empty walkway. After a minute, I went back in. While I was out, a man pulled up to the store and asked how I was. I bought two bottles of water and a bag of almonds and as I walked out, the same man gave me some more items. “You can have these too.” He said. Two granola bars and some generic brand Hostess cupcake knockoffs. I thanked him.

I packed everything away and started back toward the highway. I walked up the exit that lead to Lockwood, and back down to the interstate. I managed to cross to the middle section where you could pull off if needed. This is where I’d stick out my thumb again. Cars flew by like I was at a Nascar race, right by the track. Looking back, it was a very foolish place to look for a ride. Not too long before highway patrol rolled up to question me.

“What are you doing out here, son?”

“Just trying to get around.”

“You know we can’t have you hanging around in the median here, don’t wanna get hurt do ya?” I shrugged. “You got any ID?” I did, and I showed it to him. “So you’re from California? What are you doing out here?”

“Just heading East.”

“What for?”

“I don’t know, never been there.”

“You got any drugs or weapons, knives or anything on ya? All these kids like you usually have a knife or something.”

“Yeah, it’s just in my bag.” I pointed to the pocket.

“But it’s all packed up and everything?” I agreed. “Well alright. I’m gonna have to search your person though.” So he searched me. Nothing on me at that moment at all, some change in my pocket. “Where are you going right now, son?”

“Just trying to get to Fernley.”

“Well I can give you a ride there if that’s where you’re headed.” I said sure, whatever, or something apathetic. “Just toss your stuff in the back there.”

He drove me to the truckstop in outer Fernley, about twenty minutes from where I was. It was silent the whole way, and his truck was excruciatingly hot. He pulled up to a Wendy’s and let me out.

“Hitchhiking is illegal in the state of Nevada, so wherever you’re going, you’re gonna have to walk. Try to stay on the side of the highway if you’re following it.” He and I both knew I wasn’t gonna stop hitching. I thanked him for the ride and he drove away.

So I was at a truckstop outside Fernley, not actually in town just yet. I hung out here for a while, inquired about a shower. It’d be twelve dollars, and I definitely wasn’t going to pay for that. I was here for an hour or so. Didn’t know what time it was but the sun was still going strong. I started following the highway now, to get into town. The clouds gathered again and more rain began to fall. I was a bit further out from the highway, following an old dirt road alongside some farm land. I stopped for a minute in a ditch and smoked some more. I would be walking a half hour before reaching the downtown area of Fernley. It was still light, but I could tell it was getting late. Right as you enter town everything was right there. Fast food, Walmart, shopping center, Lowe’s, general city stuff. After some wandering, generally in the same spot, and getting some things to eat, I was getting tired. I had a spot in mind in this cluster of trees behind a Raley’s. I’d be unseen.

Two nights outside and I’d barely made it thirty miles. I need to get going. Fernley really blows.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote