Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 12:06 AM   #201 (permalink)
Key

There are times where i'll find a game that's either free or very cheap through Steam, and I decide to get it and try it out. Sometimes my overall impression of the game is great, and other times I play a game for about an hour and lose interest right away. Fortunately, I find myself enjoying most of the games that I get instead of hating them, but there are still a few that I have gotten and just straight up didn't like as much as I hoped, this is what this section is for. So, to start things off, i'm going to talk about a game that I have heard of before, and it recently made it's way onto Steam, as a free to play:

Trove

This game looked really neat at first glance, and it didn't take long for it to download onto my computer, so I thought that was a plus. The initial start up was really quick and the servers didn't seem to be having too many problems, or so I thought. I found myself getting booted out of the servers multiple times in my tutorial, but I imagine that's mostly due to it being the first couple days of a Steam release. The gameplay, the graphics, and the combat were all pretty top notch for what it's worth, but what really brought me down about it is that there really isn't much difference in difficulty depending on what "portal" you choose. They have certain portals for different levels, but none of them really seemed too different. Sure, I died a few times on bosses and dungeons, but I still didn't feel like the difficulty was that much different from the initial tutorial, which by the way, it extremely tedious. I went into this game expecting an open world RPG of sorts, but what I found was that it was just Minecraft turned into an RPG, but more focus on the material gathering and crafting and less about the RPG. I think i've only gotten an hour into the gameplay of this game, and the first 20-30 minutes of that gameplay was specifically the tutorial and it telling me things I really didn't care for. Nice thing is, there was an option to skip the tutorial. I just wanted to get to the fighting and leveling up ffs. It does have a few things going for it when you first get into the game however. The class selection is pretty neat and much different than what i've seen done before:

Candy Barbarian

Quote:
A mighty warrior with a lust for battle that is only matched by a hunger for sweet treats. Leap into the fight, then beseech your patron deity Eis-Crom to hurl one of his fabled thundercones down upon the heads of your enemies.
For instance, shown above is what they call a "Candy Barbarian" which I can only assume is just a typical barbarian class with a bit of humor thrown into it. Which I think is neat because it takes a new look on a pre existing class that most people know about.

I think for me, the humor aspect of the game is one of the reasons i'll end up going back to the game once they figure out the issues and fix the server stability and things of that sort. But overall, I was disappointed to find that they really stress on the crafting and building aspects and just make the RPG aspect seem like an "add-on" of sorts. Perhaps in time the game will get better, but for what i'm looking for, it certainly isn't worth putting my time into. Thankfully it is a free-to-play, so I don't feel like I wasted any money on it.