Music Banter - View Single Post - Whaddya want?!
Thread: Whaddya want?!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #181 (permalink)
Plainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
Alright then. Next!

Album: Station to Station
Artist: David Bowie
Genre: Rock
Suggested by: Plainview
Familiarity: None. Heard some of Bowie's other work, though.

1. Station to Station - Getting a bit of an industrial feel at the start. Some distortion. Employing a variety of instruments, it starts out very funky, and yet rigid at the same time. There's definitely some industrial influences there too. After the intro, Bowie comes in. His voice meanders through the instruments' rigid rhythm, classic Bowie style. The lyrics are great, the composition is great, it's all great. The writing is so good, that it doesn't get old either. It's very hard to make a song ten minutes long that doesn't get old.

2. Golden Years - Still funky. Very soulful. Sounds a lot like 70s R&B, and I suppose it really is. It's nothing very innovational, but it's still good.

3. Word on a Wing - A bit of gospel can't hurt anybody, right? I don't think so. This one's still good, but the quality of writing seems to be declining since the first song. Hopefully it picks up again soon. Oh wait, it just did. The harmony is awesome in the chorus. The organ is filling up my soul. Oh, wow, it just got really textured and interesting. This one actually turned out pretty good by the end.

4. TVC-15 - Lots of cheese already. The clean bass feels a bit out of place. But then the rest of the song really comes in. Very good. A bit more krautrock in this one, and not as much soul. There's some guitar freaking out in the background. It's a very cool effect. The chorus, "transmission", is a bit haunting. The part that comes just after is pretty epic. It then reverts to the cheesiness of the intro, the "transmission" part, and then the part after that. This continues to the end, with a guitar solo in the back as well. It's actually pretty cool.

5. Stay - A bit of funk here. Lots of guitar and bass interplay. Some krautrock influences sweeten the deal, with some backing keys holding chords for the entirety of the measures. Not many lyrical parts, but I like it anyways. It has a very jammy feel.

6. Wild Is the Wind - This one has a lot of guitar interplay too. It's still very good though. Nothing groundbreaking, but still pretty awesome. Great lyricism, great songwriting, great everything, but nothing really outstanding.

So, this album wasn't quite what I was expecting. It is an absolutely awesome album, but there's nothing particularly special about it, especially compared to some of Bowie's other releases in the 70s. So, if you like Bowie's other stuff, you'll probably like this album. But if you're just getting into him, I'd go with something else.
OVERALL RATING: 8/10
Glad you enjoyed. I think it draws from slightly less influences than say, Low or Heroes but it's my personal fav. The song structures are so great. Has a sort of coked-up rawness that really comes through with all those snaking guitar lines and clanging, bluesy piano. There is something slightly cheesy but it feels intentional and self-aware to me, which I'd say is true of a lot of Bowie's stuff.

Can I rec White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground?
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote