Music Banter - View Single Post - Chascoso's Wacky Journal.
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chascoso
Groupie

Default Album Spotlight: Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, Mutilator Defeated At Last, Familial

Let me explain album spotlight briefly.
Album spotlight is showcasing albums I particularly like
and ones that I think deserve recognition.

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

(The youtube video below is a remix of the album.)

Artist: Thom Yorke

Genre: Electronic

What To Expect: If you've listened to The Eraser by Thom Yorke, then expect a similar thing. Thom's usually known to
make electronic music. Music you'd hear in the club or in a lounge filled with hipsters or alternative, underground people
that love that kinda stuff. The outcasts of raves that don't quite fit in at trance filled clubs. I'm joking of course, although
Thom does give out that vibe. Yorke takes influence from Modeskelektor, Four Tet and other artists I can't think of right now.
So, if you're into that sorta thing then give Thom's albums a go. Especially this one.

Mutilator Defeated At Last

Artist: Thee Oh Sees

Genre: Alternative Rock

What To Expect: The album feels like a mixture of different bands with a familiar sound making tracks together. A mass collaboration.
This is definitely something worth listening to if you love alternative rock. It has vibes from earlier stuff by the Yeah Yeah Yeah's,
Arctic Monkeys, Them Crooked Vultures, Savages, etc. The sound the album carries is very much amongst hard rock with a clean sound.
But there are certainly elements of experimentation and alternative effects.

Familial

Artist: Philip Selway

Genre: Folk Rock

What To Expect: An album that is good to listen to when you want to take a break and just chill. It is, essentially, just acoustic and
the soothing voice of Phil all neatly packed into an album. Similar works to this are Brandon Flowers and his acoustic songs e.g.
Right Behind You, Ed Sheeran and I don't know many acoustic based artists. But only acoustic versions of songs. So, I'll get more into it.

That's it for this album spotlight. I'll try to finish my review on Drones
but, I'm finding it difficult to continue writing it. Expect more album
spotlights while I try to find my muse again for the Drones review!
Chascoso is offline   Reply With Quote