Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 03:50 AM   #263 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Artiste: Alestorm
Nationality: Scottish
Album: Sunset on the golden age
Year: 2014
Label: Napalm
Genre: Pirate Metal (?)
Tracks:
Walk the plank
Drink
Magnetic north
1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)
Mead from Hell
Surf squid warfare
Quest for ships
Wooden leg
Hangover
Sunset on the golden age

Chronological position: Fourth album
Familiarity: Zero
Interesting factoid:
Initial impression: Fun, fun, fun!
Best track(s): Drink, Magnetic north, 1741 (The Battle of Cartagena), Quest for ships, Wooden leg, Sunset on the golden age
Worst track(s): Nothing: this is fucking brilliant!
Comments: So, Pirate Metal, eh? Never heard of this before. I'm told it's not really a subgenre as such, but utilises elements of Power and Folk Metal to evoke a kind of pirate-themed version of Viking Metal (which isn't really a subgenre either: with me so far?) and tends to have song lyrics based around piratey things. So let's give it a go and see what it's like, shall we? Mateys.

Good hard and heavy opening as we are invited to “Walk the plank”; kind of more Thrash Metal than Power though I would think. Not bad stuff though. Chorus is hilarious. You've got to love a song that has the lyric “We are here to drink your beer!” Good song too; great I would think for, you know, drinking. Love the hard Scottish accent on “Magnetic north”, also the way it suddenly metamorphoses into a death metal song, complete with cookie monster vocals! The sailor's hornpipe idea on “1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)” is great, and the track rocks along with great excitement and fun, even if they do go all death metal for a short time during the song. It's almost endearing.

I have to say, so far I'm enjoying this immensely. It's not going to change your life or anything but it must be a fantastic album to get just totally pissed to. And the guys can certainly play. Oh come on! No matter how bad it is (and it's not, not at all) you have to give props to a song called “Surf squid warfare”! And the lyrics just get better: ”I'm on a quest/ A quest for ships/ Sailing's how I get my kicks!” Fucking inspired! And a hornpipe at the end. Perfect. Then we get “Wooden leg” which has the fantastic chorus “Wooden leg! Wooden leg! I've got a wooden leg!” and calls the Spanish and Japanese bastards. You gotta respect that!

You know, I'm just going to stop writing about this now and enjoy what's left. If you have the urge to be entertained and made smile, even if it necessitates slightly disengaging your brain, you really should get a hold of this album. Everyone should hear it, preferably, I would assume, when drunk.

Overall impression: Probably the most fun I've had listening to an album this year so far. Loved every bit, It's not going to win any Grammys or change anyone's worldview, but it's one hell of an enjoyable ride.
Hum Factor: 10
Surprise Factor: 10
Intention: I need to hear more from these guys!