Music Banter - View Single Post - Who is the Greatest of the Big Four of Thrash Metal?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #301 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
*pst!* Batty. Seasons in the Abyss was released in 1990.
I already pointed out that it was their last good album, you twat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotripsicks View Post
Thrash. This is thrash. Metallica hasn't been thrash since the 80s and Megadeth is doing country now. Anthrax has one album worth a listen. I like World Painted Blood. It's heavier than anything Metallica or Megadeth has done since 1990. Also the 2 members are from exodus so it should sound pretty amazing. I've already heard a song from Repentless and it was decent.
1.) Being thrash and being heavier do not equal being better. Plenty of thrash is garbage, so just because Slayer is still thrash doesn't give them any extra brownie points.

2.) Who's the other guy from Exodus? I know Gary Holt is their new guitarist, but I thought Paul Bostaph was back as the drummer.

And I'm cautiously optimistic that Gary might breath some new life into the band, but his work with Exodus is hit-or-miss as it is, and I don't know how his tendency for bloated songwriting is going to mesh with Slayer, assuming he even has any real creative input.

Quote:
Load over Reign In Blood?
I said nineties.

Quote:
Like how new? I like World Painted Blood. It's really good and not even by comparison to other bands it's good for the time it came out. 2009 or something.
Bleh. Slayer-by-numbers without any passion or inspiration. They're just putting out albums to justify touring at this point.

Quote:
I remember when I bought Load the day it came out. We used to go booze cruising out in the country. We listened to it all the way through and I remember my best friend at the time hit eject and threw it out the window and put in Divine Intervention, which I think came out a few years prior, and it was one of the best metal experiences I've ever had! I was so depressed Metallica was making **** music and Slayer came to the rescue.

I'll never forget that and have a lot of respect for the band. Always stayed true.
Like I said about World Painted Blood, Divine Intervention is uninspired Slayer-by-the-numbers. It just passes by in a boring haze of unmemorable songs.

Quote:
Megadeth hasn't had a good album since TWNAH
Megadeth's last good album was Youthanasia. Possibly Cryptic Writings, but only half of that album is really any good. The World Needs a Hero is just dull backpedaling to make up for the travesty that was Risk. It was the beginning of Dave Mustaine's indifferent return to thrash, which he clearly has no passion for anymore.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote