Music Banter - View Single Post - Foreign lyrics
Thread: Foreign lyrics
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
While I love music from all over the world and much of it I don't understand, I always feel a very awesome emotional response when I do understand something in a different language. For example, I've been listening to Spanish & Japanese music since high school, but lately if I revisit some old tracks, I pick up more than I did before due to experience, and it is very very very gratifying and adds layers of depth to the song that were not there before. I think understanding the lyrics is important to me. But that's not to say I can't love a song with vocals that don't mean anything to me.

Take Cirque du Soleil for example. A lot of their vocal songs on circus soundtracks are in "Cirquish" - a nonsense language that doesn't have meaning at all. Very beautiful stuff nonetheless.
When listening to romance, germanic or slavic languages I'm also always happy to pick up a word or sentence I understand here and there.
But are you are really able to pick up japanese words just by being an attentive listener? Or did you study the language a little? I'm always completely lost when listening to japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5I5O View Post
The speaking and singing of languages I don't know actually sound like music to me in and of themselves - they're an added feature to the music I love listening to.
Totally agree with you. Some languages sound awesome and create a unique atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Accents don't bother me at all really, I'd just rather hear someone use their native language.
I've heard some german and russian bands (don't remember the names) trying to sing english where it was just horrible. I'm not that sensitive to accents, but it made me die a little inside. On the other hand the rest of the music wasn't particularly good either.