Music Banter - View Single Post - I Want To Talk About The Touchy Subject Of Race
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Let me ask you this (I've brought it up before on here). When you are telling a story to your friends about someone who isn't white do you always feel the need to point out their race? I feel this is a kind of sub-conscious racism that a lot people do, and it's not even offensive.

Some random white person: "and my friend Jimmy, this black guy, yada yada yada" -- I know a TON of people who do this, and when I've called them out on it they just look confused. Unless race is relevant to the story why do people feel the need to point it out?
Picture a random person in your head RIGHT NOW. Is that person white? Are they male? People tend to think of themselves when they picture the baseline human, so when they're talking about someone not of their race -- especially when they're with other people of their own race, who also think of random people as being their own race and sex -- then they subconsciously feel the need to clarify for the sake of storytelling.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote