Music Banter - View Single Post - Opera lovers?
Thread: Opera lovers?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #59 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

I'd like to develop a greater appreciation for opera and choral music. Presently I have only two selections in my library - a vinyl collection of Beethoven's choral works (a segment of his Bicentennial Collection) and selections from my copies of the 2-volume 111-disc Deutsche Grammophon Collector's Edition.

For further listening, a friend has suggested highlights and excerpted aria/scenes from:
  • La Boheme - Puccini
  • Tosca - Puccini
  • La Traviata - Verdi
  • Rigoletto - Verdi
  • Carmen - Bizet
  • The Mariage of Figaro - Mozart
  • Don Giovanni - Mozart
  • The Magic Flute - Mozart

And as for individual singers (other than the obvious ones like Pavarotti, Domingo, Callas, etc.) he recommends:
  • Rene Fleming
  • Angela Gheorghiu
  • Anna Netrebko
  • Denyce Graves
  • Susan Graham
  • Anne Sofie von Otter
  • Rolando Villazon
  • Jose Cura
  • SImon Keenlyside
  • Bryn Terfel
  • Jose van Dam
  • Nathan Gunn

I'd love additional input regarding other suggested listening, key labels to watch for, conductors, choirs, etc.

[EDIT: UPDATE] I populated a custom RYM list of the highest-rated opera recordings of all time. I've compiled lossless archives of each recording and prepared a playlist of the operas for my 9-5s at the office. Looking forward to taking them in!

Wilhelm Furtwängler / Ludwig Suthaus / Kirsten Flagstad
Tristan und Isolde (1953)

Orchestra and of La Scala Opera House, Milan / Chorus of La Scala Opera House, Milan / Victor De Sabata
Teatro alla Scala: Tosca (1953)

Vienna Philharmonic / Georg Solti / George London / Kirsten Flagstad / Set Svanholm / Gustav Neidlinger
Das Rheingold (1959)

Philharmonia Orchestra / Philharmonia Chorus / Carlo Maria Giulini / Eberhard Wächter / Joan Sutherland / Luigi Alva / Gottlob Frick / Elisabeth Schwarzkopf / Giuseppe Taddei / Piero Cappuccilli / Graziella Sciutti
Don Giovanni (1961)

Philip Glass
Einstein on the Beach (1979)

Wiener Philharmoniker / Georg Solti
Salome (1962)

The Stuttgart State Opera Orchestra & Chorus / Dennis Russel Davies
Akhnaten (1987)

Wiener Philharmoniker / Wilhelm Furtwängler / Martha Mödl / Ludwig Suthaus / Leonie Rysanek / Ferdinand Frantz / Gottlob Frick / Margarete Klose
Die Walküre (1954)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists

Last edited by innerspaceboy; 07-19-2015 at 01:28 PM.
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote