Music Banter - View Single Post - One song to describe your city
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #73 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Yes, this is a nice, smooth, not-immediately-obvious song. I loved the line about "Mannequin was filmed at Woolworths"!
The only problem is that I now feel obliged to wiki Philadelphia...
lol. I'm curious what you learned from Wikipedia.

Quote:
Perhaps you rejected this song as being too predictable, but it has some interesting city scenes too:-

As much as I like that song, the reason I didn't pick it is that I don't feel like it's really about the city of Philadelphia itself, it's more about the plot of the movie Philadelphia. I think if the movie had been set somewhere else, Springsteen could easily have written the exact same lyrics (minus the name drop of course) about where ever it took place.

I don't think I had ever seen the video before though. It was pretty cool seeing a lot of locations I know.

Quote:
After being featured in a 2012 Olympic ceremony, I guess Waterloo Sunset might be the obvious London song. Even if that mini masterpiece is disgarded, it's still pretty difficult to pin London down to just one song, because it get's so many mentions in popular music. Ones that spring to mind are Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner, Sunny Goodge Street, Finchley Central, the Lambeth Walk, Muswell Hillbillies, Slim Slow Slider and -does any one here remember Vera Lynn?- A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square.

I managed to reduce my favourites down to three:-

i) In celebration of the humble multi-ethnic neighbourhoods:-

I've never heard this song before but it makes me want to take another trip to London. If feel like I missed this part of the city when I went there before.

Quote:
A litany of place names, evocative without being sentimental:-

I've never heard this song or this band before, but I enjoyed how cheery it is. I feel like I should be dancing while listening. I have to admit I can't understand the lyrics well enough to pick up on the references but I can imagine how it could be evocative.

Quote:
But when you're walking home at three in the morning the London streets take on a gentler quality:-

I could definitely see how this could be one of those bittersweet nostalgic songs for someone who used to live in London. It certainly evokes the empty streets I walked down late at night a few times when I was there.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote