Music Banter - View Single Post - donald trump 4 prez
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #315 (permalink)
E5I5O
Account Disabled

Quote:
once again, i think you're cherry picking.
Hardly

Quote:
i never said republicans aren't pro-war btw. but the democratic congress voted in favor of the iraq war, despite widespread domestic and international protests. it could be that they were just naive enough to believe bush & co.
Yeah, the country had just been attacked. No one would vote against war at the time. That's kind of a given.

Quote:
or it could be that they knew that opposing the war in the midst of a post-9/11 political climate where many americans were whipped into a nationalist frenzy could hurt their own political careers.
Hardly

Quote:
or it could be that they knew iraq was a bad idea but gave bush the go ahead anyways in order to give themselves some political leverage in the next elections, after the war went sour.
Nah

Quote:
whatever their reasoning, many democrats still voted for it.
they had to, everyone did, for the right reasons.. we had just been attacked... the world is not like yours, it's not all black and white as you want it to be. It makes it simple for you, but for the rest of the world, we need hard questions to be answered, despite the pain it may cause your kind...

Quote:
to speak more recently..

obama's foreign policy has been largely criticized by progressive for more or less the entire duration of his presidency. i know this because i have left-leaning sympathies and for a while considered myself a hardcore progressive, watching left-leaning news on the internet such as the young turks or al jazeera, or reading glenn greenwald/noam chomsky/etc. try looking to any of those media sources rather than watching msnbc to see how unfavorably obama's approach to foreign policy has fared with hard-line liberals and progressives.
I don't watch nbc, I'm not stupid

Quote:
for one thing his heavy use of drone strikes, in some cases in countries that we aren't even at war with, has been heavily criticized. the main difference between obama and bush in that regard is that obama didn't spend as much time constructing a false narrative to make the american public rally behind these strikes. he just simply tried to keep them as quiet as possible.
I agree with you there, you can't make war a quiet thing, you've got to go all out and take them out where you see them. Obama has failed miserably in this regard.

Quote:
obama's libya adventure was another example of a war that ultimately was about exerting american/nato influence abroad and helping to get rid of a long time enemy, while doing it all under the banner of spreading democracy and preventing a dictator from brutally slaughtering his own people. the end result was somewhat similar to iraq... chaos, destabilization, ethnic cleansing and militant/terror groups inadvertently gaining regional power and influence. it was also an adventure undertaken without widespread congressional support, unlike iraq.
which your baby bush help to create, primarily helped to created because the bushes started all this

Quote:
obama's one redeeming feature in libya was that he was smart enough not to commit american ground forces in a long term battle and to act only with international support. and to his credit the situation in libya was escalating and rebels on the ground there were asking for assistance. but that doesn't make it a smart move, and it doesn't make it peaceful.
ok, that does it, you're living a world of black and white. My world is not that simple. I actually see in color and three dimensionally. You're lost in a world concocted by your own mind and wants.

Quote:
and even with all that, obama is less war-like than our next democratic president, hillary clinton. she has criticized him for being too soft in the past, such as for not doing more to help the syrian rebels early on.
This is where it stands: if the Obama administration were to go to war, you'd say, "Way too much war!". If they were not to go to war.", you'd say, "They're not warring enough.". You're a Republican. You're prone to double standards as they please you and aid your cause. Dick Cheney has criticized the Obama administration for the deficit through their rule in Washington, but when he was Vice President, he was quoted as saying, "Deficits don't matter".... typical Republican't...