Music Banter - View Single Post - aux-in's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Default The Randomizer

Five more, because I feel like it. Chosen at random, but put in alphabetical order by artist name.

THE RANDOMIZER

Bel Heir - "Kiss The Devil" [Just A Gent Remix]

^^ Clever lyrics on this. Has a soaring, melodic vocal. Male vocals this time. Just A Gent gave the track a different life over the original with his remixing skills.

Fady & Mina - "Kepler 22" [Original Mix]

^^ While a lot of my tracks may have a broader appeal to people who don't listen to electronic music -- if electronic music is something they wanted to explore -- there are some selections where you'd pretty much have to be into the genres to appreciate them. This is one of them. It's a progressive trance instrumental. There's an epic feeling to this, although it never gets bombastic about it.

Mediks - "Come Back Down" [Xilent Remix]

^^ I've had some selections from Xilent already, and that's because he's one of the best. I have a few more, but if you want to get ahead of me, you can check out all his stuff yourself. I'm actually listening to his new album We Are Virtual as I write this. Mediks I'm not all that familiar with, but I think they are known for their drum & bass material. It sounds like the vocals are male, but they're set to that high-pitched sound to where you can't tell if it's female vocals. This is electro house. One of the ways you can tell if something is electro house is that these tracks often have two different beats in them, whereas a good chunk of the instrumental is characterized by a stutter-step structure. For this song, you can hear that it moves in one way and is melodic, but then the beat changes -- almost stops. This stutter-step pattern can be heard @ 0:53 in the song. Probably not the best way to describe it, but that's the general idea.

Porter Robinson (ft. Amba Shepherd) - "Vandalism"

^^ From the 2011 album Spitfire. This was the first time I had ever heard of Porter Robinson. At the time, I was going through a period where I would to go to the trail to walk/jog/run. This is about the same time I started getting into the newer releases, and I needed something different than my usual playlist. One day, I decided to flip through the online radio stations/apps on my phone to see what they were all about. They had always been there, sitting dormant. And there's a ton of them, too, so it felt overwhelming to try and sift through them all. Having been new to this material at the time, I didn't have the same sense I do now in regard to which genre I wanted to listen to. Characteristic of Sprint's typical coverage area, my signal was weak and it took forever to connect. Once connected, however, the service usually went uninterrupted, so the wait was worth it. Anyway, I was lucky enough to catch this on one those stations, and I'm able to post it now in all its glory.

This is an example of why I've come to like finding selections at random over listening to complete albums. You never know where you're going to be or what you're doing when you hear something fresh and exciting, whether that be while clicking on a random YouTube mix, or being out in nature with all the creature comforts of your cell phone. To be sure, I still enjoy and listen to albums.

Robinson's follow-up album Worlds was a letdown in my opinion. He went in a cheekier direction which is a departure from the sounds he produced on Spitfire.

Xilent - "Choose Me II"

This is probably Xilent's best-known track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xilent

Quote:
He is best known for his track "Choose Me II", released on May 16, 2011, which peaked at #1 spot on Beatport's Dubstep chart and stayed in the Top 5 for 3 months. The track was also selected as Zane Lowe’s “Next Hype” track on BBC Radio 1.[1]
Personally, I think "Universe" is his best track, but this is quite good as well, if not a modern dubstep classic.

I may or may not do another album review on my next post. Only time will tell.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 06-24-2020 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Fixed broken video link
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote