Music Banter - View Single Post - Thinking About Becoming a SysAdmin
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
By all means, it's a worthy road to travel if you enjoy doing the work, no matter what it takes to get there.

Just make sure it's something you really want to do. A lot of times, you don't really figure that out for a while because you never know what it really involves, but if you're keen on solving problems and finding solutions, it's a good field to be in. Just beware... if you do your job too well and are too proactive, you can end up bored as f*ck and just surfing the internet all day while enjoying the smell of your own farts.
1.) If I wait to figure out what I most want to do, I'll never do anything -- like I've been doing since flunking out of high school -- as what I really want to do involves doing nothing. I'm serious when I say that my dream is to live on a tropical island where I can run my own off-the-grid ex-pat beach bar and be Jimmy Buffett without the guitar. Whether or not I have time to figure out what I want to do, it's beyond past time to at least pick a general direction.

2.) I'm not necessarily a computer tech head, or even the greatest problem solver (though that conclusion is mostly derived from my experience as a burger flipper who sucks at making twelve sandwiches at once), but a field involving computers is still the only thing I can see myself enjoying to any extent. Even if being a sysadmin isn't the right fit for me, the educational and experience path it would lead me down would probably at least point me in a direction that would suit me.

P.S. If you know IT-type jobs which suit a socially awkward introvert, then I'm all ears.

3.) I need to surround myself with fellow nerds. I can't take any more of this spending my working hours with low class anti-intellectuals. Nothing wrong with those people in general, and I've enjoyed the working comradeship I've developed with some of them in the past, but we're just not the same people and have nothing to talk about past smoking weed and bitching about our ****ty jobs. I don't think believing in evolution is that high of an expectation for a coworker.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote