Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #313 (permalink)
Sequoioideae
An Butthole

159. Sun City Girls "Torch of The Mystics"

The most accessible and probably the most heralded album out of SCG's catalog of weirdness. One of the things I find so special about this album and the group is that you can hear not only influences, but the fondness of the music they cherished and grew up with. It wasn't just a bunch of white dudes appropriating the sound of a culture, they grew up with it. This coupled with their natural talent for weirdness and desire to be confrontational it makes this album and the band in general one in a million.

The Los Kjarkas cover on the album is also pretty legendary, for being complete gibberish it's just breathtaking in terms of Alan's vocal abilities. "Space Prophet Dogon" and 'The Vinegar Stroke" (har har) also feature some of probably the best guitar music I've ever heard, so god damn timeless and catchy that I still to this day pick up my guitar and play both back to back. Making guitars sound like ouds, to psychedelic ballads that would make the universe implode.

The sheer weirdness, timelessness, and world influences make this an album that I would pretty much recommend anyone to check out if they wanted to get weird.

God Is My Solar System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
"check yr fucking posable limbs privilege you ****s"
Sequoioideae is offline   Reply With Quote