Music Banter - View Single Post - confederate flag debate
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #147 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Spirit View Post
Why has this issue suddenly sprung up out of nowhere? The flag is over a century old, and everyone knows the history of it, yet everyone has suddenly become butthurt over it, even to the point of people disrespecting others private property by stealing the flags and desecrating them.
It was sparked by a vote to remove the flag from government buildings in South Carolina as a response to the Charleston shooting since the shooter's photos were with the flag. That sparked the discussion and became the chic marketing trend to remove all signs of the flag even when it's relevant.

I agree that it shouldn't be at government offices since that country no longer exists (kind of like flying a Rhodesia flag in Zimbabwe). Yet while I don't support people flying the flag due to its obvious links to slavery, I don't think it's appropriate for people to do things that you've described or to overzealously make it taboo in stores, even for things like Dukes of Hazzard.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote