Music Banter - View Single Post - Sidewinder's Top 10 Albums from Every Year (1965-)
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #84 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

What a great fuucking year we have here. This also happens to be the year my ex-girlfriend and I packed up and moved across the country from Houston to Seattle. Good riddance! I was already buying a lot of music before, but I think moving to a new city, not knowing anyone, and being surrounded by record stores caused an uptick in my purchasing. I think I doubled my collection in a couple of years. Anyway all of that isn't really relevant to the year's top 10. The Knife released their best so far, as did mewithoutYou even though I didn't realize it at the time. Clark's Body Riddle is up there as a favorite of mine but was eventually topped by 2009's Totems Flare. I didn't discover Alamo Race Track until several years later, but this is also their best album. I'm not familiar with Melvins' entire discography, but this is certainly their best post-90s release to date, up there with Houdini and Stoner Witch. And Plaid - having left fans anxious for new material since 2003's Spokes - released the stunning soundtrack to an Anime film which to me was better than Spokes.

Spotify Playlist - 2006 Top 10+

1. The Knife - Silent Shout
2. mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
3. Clark - Body Riddle
4. Melvins - (A) Senile Animal
5. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
6. Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
7. Plaid - Tekkonkinkreet OST
8. Alamo Race Track - Black Cat John Brown
9. The Mars Volta - Amputechture
10. Built to Spill - You In Reverse