Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning More About Emo
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zotis
Groupie

Default Learning More About Emo

Hi everyone, I just joined. I've been listening to Emo for a few years among other things, but I've been getting much more interested in delving deeper lately. I read the Emo Club and 4th Wave Emo threads' first posts. There was some interesting things that I hadn't really heard before, but it also felt like a lot was missing. Well I was in the Post-Hardcore scene in the early to mid 2000's and we had no idea what Emo or Screamo really were. Most people still don't. I've done a little research over the years and gleaned off a few Emo blogs that I occassionally visit for recs, but I really don't feel like I know much about Emo at all. It seems at first glance that this 4th wave Emo dominates here. I don't mind either way, but it doesn't really appeal to me. I'm more interested in 90's Hardcore Emo and current bands stemming from that. I also want to learn and expose myself to more in a broader sense. I hope some of you can help. It seems like a decent crowd from the threads I poked into.

So what exactly is Twinkly Emo? I've listened to a few bands labelled as such. It's not my thing, but I'm curious about how it developed.

My interest in Emo stemmed from my interest in Screamo and Hardcore. At first I was after the heavier intense screaming, and Emo bands put me off a bit. Gradually I started getting more interested in some of these softer bands. Rue Montmartre, I Hate Myself, Ethel Meserve, and The Birds Are Spies They Report to the Trees are some examples.

My most recent interest has been the band Christopher Robin. I mean there are a lot of random bands who's names mostly escape me, but I keep coming back to Christopher Robin.

Also another question. Do you find the Emo community to be universal in how the various waves/sub-genres are defined? I'm talking about the informed community of course, so excluding people who have no clue what they're even talking about.

Last edited by Zotis; 07-29-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Zotis is offline   Reply With Quote