Music Banter - View Single Post - confederate flag debate
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #195 (permalink)
DwnWthVwls
Fck Ths Thngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
If we had clear evidence that banning the confederate flag would reduce hate crimes, then the directive would be clear wouldn't it?
No. Flat out banning something or ignoring the problem will most likely lead to other problems. That is a short term patch and I like long term solutions, unless something is so urgent that the long term will not exist without an immediate bandaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
The rational answer is a question: how much safety? How much free speech? And each person has a different threshold for how much freedom they'll give up for safety
I think this part is reasonable. We just have different thresholds, mine being much higher (I assume).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
would it be less or more ignorant to proudly wear a swastika and say "well actually in greco roman times it means prosperity for all" when called out for being a douche?
I think it's about the same. You still have to acknowledge and be considerate of how your actions will affect those around you because we live in a community and we should all do our part to help maintain peace and structure. The problem is a lack of education, I'd put money on the fact that a large majority of the population that hates swastikas has no idea of it's meaning outside of the nazi regime, and that is an education problem creating a social problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote