Music Banter - View Single Post - The Republican Primaries
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Thumbs down For Chris Christie: Another Prohibition Candidate

Of the top ten candidates running to become the 2016 Republican nominee, New Jersey governor Chris Christie is one of them, the man who endured the rath of the Republican establishment for heaven forbid...shaking Obama's hand!!! (2012 Hurricane Sandy)

As a non partisan voter I would never fault him for something as stupid as that, however I can fault him for his recent comments he made regarding the states who have decriminalized marijuana. In short, Chris Christie has stated...

“I believe it should still be illegal,” he said. “If you’re getting high in Colorado today, enjoy it until January 2017, because I will enforce the federal laws against marijuana as President of the United States.”

Chris Christie Says He's Coming for Your Weed | WIRED

Now one of the initial bright spots about Chris Christie, was that he was a Republican from a traditionally blue state, which raised the likelihood that he wasn't going to be saddled with all the prohibition nonsense that often plagues red state candidates. In fact, it looked like he might be in line with someone like Mayor Giuliani... but it is not to be so.

The Republican Party has always been split between social conservatives who are in favour of prohibition and libertarians who are not, and at the end of the day, the prohibitions always win out. Conservative Parties, like mine in Canada, do a great job off paying lip service to the possibility of softening or even legalizing the laws on marijuana, but once they're in power, they turn around and slap their libertarian voting base in the face with tougher laws on its possession and distribution. It never fails.

For the record, I'm not much of a toker and I have somewhat changed my stance of legalizing the drug after these studies

Pot IQ: Does Marijuana Hurt The Brain?
Study Shows Heavy Adolescent Pot Use Permanently Lowers IQ

Nevertheless, you would think that a blue state candidate from the North East would at the very least take a hands off approach towards States like Colorado, but not for this fat loudmouth, thumbs down for Chris Christie. WTB
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote