Music Banter - View Single Post - The Colundi Sequence
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sequoioideae
An Butthole

Default The Colundi Sequence

"Aleksi Perälä, whose work for Rephlex and his own AP Musik has continuously sought to push electronic music's boundaries, has created what might be his most extraordinary idea to date. Alongside Grant Wilson Claridge (who runs Rephlex) he has invented a custom musical scale called The Colundi Sequence, an alternative to the standard musical scales most music is composed from. Rather than dividing the keyboard into octaves with semitones, the pair chose specific frequencies to work with, making a scale of 128 resonant frequencies. These frequencies were selected through a variety of methods, including experimentation and taking from ideas on philosophy, psychology, science, human bio-resonance and mysticism."

A product of the research on frequencies by Aleksi Perala & Grant Wilson-Claridge. The First few levels are very minimal, very alien, almost meditative. They get a bit more diverse during the later levels, level 10 has some really nice piano pieces and level 11 has some elements of electronic dub. It's really cool to have the first two levels and have watched it grow throughout the years. The project has gained an intense following, and the projects have become more and more ambitious. I backed one of them that was going to be an installation on land, but the land it was going to be used for was on sale for only 2 weeks, it failed. Supposedly there will be 21 levels in all, but Grant and Aleksi are aiming to make this a movement, almost cultish.

As I write, we are up to level 12 (missing level 9 at the moment). I have a few of the physical releases (1,2,3, and 7), and they've all been on different formats, the last one was an impossibly hard to get a hold of wire recording!

I'll be willing to make a compilation (It's all in flac) to anyone that wants to jump into this already massive collection. I'll convert it into mp3 if you guys would prefer that instead. Here's a few highlights.

From Level 3

From Level 11

From Level 1

Home | Colundi

Aleksi Perälä

God Is My Solar System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
"check yr fucking posable limbs privilege you ****s"
Sequoioideae is offline   Reply With Quote